On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 6:38 AM, dbohdan <danyil.boh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, September 4, 2017 at 7:11:14 PM UTC+3, Jay McCarthy wrote:
> I would like to add you to the AUTHORS file
> (https://gitlab.com/dbohdan/racket-vs-the-world/blob/master/AUTHORS — please
> read). Would this attribution line be okay?
>
>> Jay McCarthy <your-real-email-address-h...@gmail.com>
>> https://jeapostrophe.github.io/

Yes, that's good.

> I've run the default benchmark with the new application, which I've dubbed
> "racket-custom". (Actually, I had to make a tweak to the benchmark to
> accommodate the number of requests it was fulfilling. It made ApacheBench
> overstep its memory quota and get killed.) When started with the "places" or
> the "many-places" command line argument on Linux, racket-custom quickly runs
> out of file descriptors. It opens one per request and apparently doesn't
> close them. The following results are for the other two modes.
>
> ======
>> grep 'Requests per second' results/*
> results/custom-single.txt:Requests per second:    8086.51 [#/sec] (mean)
> results/custom-many.txt:Requests per second:    7000.06 [#/sec] (mean)

It is really surprising to me that the many version doesn't perform
better, because I assumed that there would be IO delays on one
connection and you wouldn't want to stall others while waiting to
read/write it. Presumably this is a bit of an artifact of the
benchmarking happening on localhost?

----

These seem like pretty good results (x2 over the best before!) and I
interpret them as telling us that the problem is not in Racket's IO
system but in how the Web server adds overhead.

--
-=[     Jay McCarthy               http://jeapostrophe.github.io    ]=-
-=[ Associate Professor        PLT @ CS @ UMass Lowell     ]=-