FWIW, I have spent (far too much) time trying to replicate
functionality in DrRacket that is best just used in the underlying OS
or its tools somehow. One example that lives on (in a zombie-like
state) is the "search in files" functionality and there are others
that just died. There is definitely a tension here, but my experience
suggests that it would  not be a good use of my time to do something
like that. At least, not without a clear pain point in my own mind.
Since you see to have one of those, however, maybe you should give
something a try? As Matthew pointed out, there is already command-line
support (that I think doesn't get used much because it isn't very
convenient to use) that you could use a starting point for wiring
things in.

Robby