My current approach is to put a file containing "/Applications/Racket
v6.12/bin" in /etc/paths.d, which adds it to the default PATH for all users.

Personally, I'm command-line-oriented enough that I try to avoid spaces and
special characters in file names I'm likely to work with from the command
line, but:

   1. I believe Apple has some guideline encouraging file names to use
   spaces, capital letters, etc. rather than underscores and other workarounds.
   2. If you are writing a shell script, there are so many special
   characters that can cause problems that you really do have to properly
   quote your paths (or write the script in Racket instead, which is happy to
   deal with arbitrary characters in paths).

-Philip