For the applications I work on, double precision floats are too costly to
use; although the CPU cycle count to operate on doubles tend to be the same
as single precision floats on modern hardware, the bandwidth cost is too
prohibitive. We really do need single precision floats, and in many cases,
16 bit half precision floats due to the bandwidth savings.

With regard to exactness, I don't need exactness to compare two single
precision floats. I would like to have exactness in the ground truth that I
compute to be able to calculate the error in the single precision float
version of the computation. The idea is that I implement two versions of an
algorithm. One uses the exact numbers supported by Racket and the other
would use single precision floats, then I would like to compute error with
(flulp-error x r) or something similar.

Is there a better approach to do this kind of analysis?

-Dale Kim