> On Aug 7, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Alexis King <lexi.lam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I guess I’ll take the bait and give the obvious-but-unhelpful answer,
> “Don’t use global variables.” :)
>
> I’m joking, but only just barely. It seems difficult to give concrete
> advice without knowing more details about your program and why you felt
> it was necessary to use global mutable state in the first place, so
> absent some reason why you need them, I have to recommend you just
> refactor your code to eliminate the globals. The standard techniques for
> writing testable code in other languages still apply in Racket, most
> notably dependency injection (aka “passing arguments to functions”).
> Racket also provides a few tools of its own for managing that kind of
> dynamic parameterization, such as parameters and units.
>
> Theoretically, an alternative solution would be to create a separate
> namespace (via racket/sandbox or otherwise) for each test file, allowing
> each test to use its own instantiation of the library. This almost
> certainly isn’t what you actually want, though, since real (non-test)
> clients of your library will bump into the same problem, and expecting
> them to do the same workaround is unreasonable. Indeed, I think the
> difficulty of testing an API like this means the the test suite is doing
> what it probably should: hinting that your API is hard to work with and
> needs to be changed.
>
> Alexis

Here’s a more concrete example:

Test-file-1
        (require library)
        (fact foo 10)
        (fact bar 30)
        (ans (? 30))

So the program collects facts and other prolog-like statement into the global,
then allows that data to be queried (similar to datalog, although I’m not sure
of datalog’s internals only its syntax and what it does). I suppose what would
be interesting would be some way of having the library understand what module
it is a part of and keep track of its data individually. I could probably do
that by replacing the globals with a hash table and since fact, and, etc are
macros I could grab the path /filename from the environment and pass that on to
the library…. parameters are something I’ve not played around with much, but
that’s something I’ll look into.

Kevin