After some deliberation, and consultation with heads wiser than my own, I
have decided to abandon the idea of porting the "rule-system" directly.
There was no point, really. It relies on too many techniques that were
hacks, albeit very clever ones, in their time, to make up for tools that
today we take for granted.  (Some of that codee predates OOP, just to give
an idea)

Even more seriously, the old system paid little - if any - heed to ideas of
modularity and hygeine -- something which I intend to focus on. So there's
no point starting off in a way that you don't intend to continue.

An implementation of the core ideas, but set in a more modern framework, is
a much better idea, even if it does take a bit longer.

I will now look at implementing the rule-system in a more modern setting.
The good thing is that Racket offers a number of good options for this.