Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote on 09/03/2018 06:18 AM:
https://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server/faq.html#%28part._.What_special_considerations_are_there_for_security_with_the_.Web_.Server_%29
(I agree with the FAQ btw that a cookie-based approach has major downsides
fwiw.)

For a credible authentication session that works with current browsers, today,[1] I think you'll probably end up making cookies a part of it.

HTTP Basic authentication has limited uses, which might include things like student homework assignments, but not general Web purposes.

If you try to do it from JS (such as by trusting HTML5 storage security more than that of cookies, or going much more anti-Web AJAX-y for content loading), or making all your requests `POST` (with some unusual framework), I think you'll have problems in practice.  And anything that appears in the URL will tend to get leaked numerous ways by many  browser configurations (regardless of HTTPS, or which Hierarchical URI component you put it in).

For some much narrower purposes, HTTPS client certs have a place (and I kinda like them), but they are an administrative headache, there's a prohibitive usability burden for bringing on new users in for the general case of Web sites/services, usability burdens tend to create security weaknesses, browser support is strangely starting to disappear, and the browsers and "stacks" are full of holes anyway (such that there are weaker points to harden before cookies).

The new work on Web browser support for hardware keys conceivably might include something generally useful, at some point, but adult supervision is needed, when it's being pushed by parties in the business of doing ubiquitous mass surveillance and/or selling hardware keys.

[1] And I don't think cookies will be going away anytime soon. Almost everyone is using them for surveillance (mostly gratuitous wrt purported service) and essential authentication session tokens. Mozilla is just now starting to be a little principled against certain kind of cookie abuses for surveillance, but their funding is based on being dotcom-friendly, and I suspect that they won't actually break the current surveillance-funded industry anytime soon (nor be willing to have their browser stop working with the most popular sites, without compromise, if it comes to a standoff). Although, one of their former top VIPs, now at Brave, seems to be working on breaking various surveillance methods, while setting up a new middleperson for monetization.  If Brave gets uptake from privacy-conscious people, I suppose that might light a fire under Mozilla, to reorient more thoroughly to privacy-respecting, throughout everything they do (since they have a fleet of executives who have seen them lose large chunks of market share before, on earlier differentiators).  Probably, some standards will be broken, and perhaps standards eventually changed to permit that breakage (they could call it a standards "profile", if that helps diplomacy), and the dawn of a new skepticism of dotcom intentions and the technology decisions they push.  Regardless, I think cookies will still work for at least first-party session authentication for a while. :)