My celebration was a bit premature. Strangely jumping to definition now
worked and sent me to the right location but no code changes were picked
up. I read the docs some more and noticed that raco pgk show  showed actual
checksum for /rackunit/ packages instead of #f and the source said /clone/
not /link/. After that I did a number of stupid things and managed to botch
my packages so completely that even raco gave up and wouldn't stop
demanding some missing rackunit files in some internal collects/ dir.

I gave up and did a clean Racket reinstall from source. Took a while. I
imagine there must be a way to bootstrap packages without complete
reinstall, but I don't know how.

I did manage to get what I want. Here:

git clone https://github.com/racket/rackunit.git
> cd rackunit

> # just install every subdirectory
> ~/Code/rackunit $ raco pkg install -j 8 --force -u --type dir rackunit*

> # verify
> ~/Code/rackunit $ raco pkg show --all --long --rx "rackunit*"

> Installation-wide:

  ... omitted but rackunit pkgs are still there ...

User-specific for installation "development":
>  Package                Checksum    Source
>  rackunit               #f          (link
> "/Users/russki/Code/rackunit/rackunit")
>  rackunit-doc           #f          (link
> "/Users/russki/Code/rackunit/rackunit-doc")
>  rackunit-gui           #f          (link
> "/Users/russki/Code/rackunit/rackunit-gui")
>  rackunit-lib           #f          (link
> "/Users/russki/Code/rackunit/rackunit-lib")
>  rackunit-plugin-lib    #f          (link
> "/Users/russki/Code/rackunit/rackunit-plugin-lib")
>  rackunit-test          #f          (link
> "/Users/russki/Code/rackunit/rackunit-test")
>  rackunit-typed         #f          (link
> "/Users/russki/Code/rackunit/rackunit-typed")

And yep, jump to definition works and changes are picked up.

In conclusion. I'm not really sure. I definitely went through a phase of
cargo culting here, copying incantations I don't quite understand. Has the
wider Racket community been bitten by that particular bug, yet? raco packs
a lot of punch and plenty of docs to back that up, but it isn't always easy
to figure it all out. I still don't understand this "multiple packages in
the same repo" arrangement. For instance, raco merilly allowed me to
install and link the root dir of rackunit. Turns out that does not include
those subpackages. However if you do the --clone . trick that Philip
suggested then it resolves deps and offers to install subdirs. But then
/clone/ vs /link/ source are confusing, where the clone one isn't really
linked, so code changes are ignored. Anyway, I guess I'm learning things
here.

Thank you for your patience