tl;dr: You need to use an ellipsis, so your pattern should be ((~between
x:integer 3 3) ...). A (much) more detailed explanation of why follows.

~between is an ellipsis-head pattern. The most common ellipsis-head pattern,
~optional, also works as a plain head pattern, but ~between does not. What’s
the difference?

Let’s start by answering what a head pattern is. The simplest kind of
syntax/parse pattern is a single-term pattern, which (as the name implies) only
matches a single syntax object at a time. Head patterns are special in that
they can match zero or more consecutive syntax objects in the head of a list.
What is the head of a list? Well, if you have a list like '(1 2 3 4), its head
is the sequence of elements “1 2 3 4” and its tail is simply the empty list,
'(). It’s possible to write the list '(1 2 3 4 . ()) to make that more explicit.

So when you have a head pattern like (~optional x:integer), it might parse an
integer, but it also might parse nothing. In the latter case, the next head
pattern in the sequence would get a chance to parse the same element that
(~optional x:integer) did. Head patterns are able to do this because lists
introduce a kind of linear sequencing (not just tree-like nesting), so
“skipping” an element is an operation that makes sense.

But what about ellipsis-head patterns? These are patterns that don’t just
appear inside a list pattern, they appear inside a list pattern and under an
ellipsis. For example, in the pattern (x y ... z), x and z are head patterns,
but y is an ellipsis-head pattern. While head patterns introduce the ability to
consume one or more elements at a time, ellipsis-head patterns extend that with
the power to match elements in the list out of order. This is most useful when
parsing keyword options, such as in the following pattern:

    ((~alt (~once (~seq #:foo foo:integer)) (~once (~seq #:bar bar:string)))
...)

The above pattern will match (#:foo 1 #:bar "two") or (#:bar "two" #:foo 1),
but not (#:foo 1) or (#:foo 1 #:foo 2 #:bar "three"). This is because ~alt
introduces a set of alternatives that can be matched, but unlike a simple ~or*
pattern, it also keeps track of how many times each case matched, and patterns
like ~once, ~optional, and ~between introduce constraints on the number of
times a given case must match for the overall parse to be successful.

Interestingly, note that pattern variables bound under ~once and ~optional
don’t have an ellipsis depth of 1, they have an ellipsis depth of 0. This is
why, in the given example, you can refer to the foo and bar pattern variables
in a template without any ellipses. ~between, however, still increments the
ellipsis depth, since the pattern can actually match multiple times.

In the pattern I suggested at the beginning of this email, ((~between x:integer
3 3) ...), you’re creating an ellipsis-head context with exactly one
alternative: (~between x:integer 3 3). That is exactly what you want, so
everything works out fine.

The one remaining question, however, is why ~between is only allowed as an
ellipsis-head pattern, but ~optional is also allowed as a head pattern. I can’t
say for certain, since you can think of ((~optional x:integer)) as being sort
of implicitly expanded to ((~optional x:integer) ...), and the same could be
done for ~between. However, my guess is that it isn’t allowed because ~between
increments the ellipsis depth of its sub-pattern, and Ryan thought it would be
confusing for a pattern variable’s ellipsis depth to be incremented despite
there not actually being any ellipses in the pattern. Therefore, when using
~between, you have to write the ellipsis explicitly.

Alexis