On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 3:52 PM Jens Axel Søgaard <jensa...@soegaard.net> wrote:

> Den man. 1. jun. 2020 kl. 20.53 skrev Christopher Lemmer Webber
> <cweb...@dustycloud.org>:
>

> I think `case` were more important before `match` arrived.
> If you want to see how `case` can be implemented without hash-tables, look at
> William D Clinger's paper:
>
> http://scheme2006.cs.uchicago.edu/07-clinger.pdf
>
> /Jens Axel

The Racket implementation of case is based on Clinger's paper. And
Clinger's approach does, in fact, use hash tables, except that in the
Larceny implementation, the hash table fetch is open-coded by case
(IIRC), which is not the case in Racket (unless it gets inlined by the
compiler in the CS version, I suppose, though I don't know if that's
actually possible).

- Jon