I asked students to go to File | Install Package (not the DWIM box). From
there, I too get this "inferred package name includes disallowed
characters" message as Robby. But that isn't what my student got… So it
seems a bit unlikely this is the issue?

There is the possibility this is somehow different on Windows due to CR+LF
issues. Maybe one of the characters is being treated as a line-terminator
while the other is getting appended to the repo-name, causing the "might
not refer to" error? Perhaps someone with a Windows box could test out
John's "multiple paste" conjecture and see whether they get my student's
error message (see top posting of this thread) instead?

For what it's worth, I had to try quite hard to copy the newline off
github…so it would be impressive if two students in my class did just that.
(And it would be a remarkable piece of sleuthing by John!)