I'm stretching details a bit, but maybe it would help to think of phases as
"passes." That is, there's a compile-time "pass" where Racket is focuses on the
code you write and what they can see. These passes continue until the Racket
program is fully expanded.

Where things get tricky is remembering that when you create a binding at one
phase, it is available for that phase. It's a little easier to tell the
difference across module boundaries.

Let's say you have a library that defines your functions at phase 0, or runtime.

; lib.rkt
#lang racket/base
(provide (all-defined-out))
(define (my-function x) (+ x 1))  (define (my-macro stx)
(datum->syntax stx (my-function (cadr (syntax->datum stx)))))

Now let's have another module use the syntax transformer. I'm handwaving around
some details because `define-syntax` and `define-for-syntax` are not the same,
but I'd like to focus on illustrating how phases operate.

#lang racket/base
(require "lib.rkt")
(my-macro #'(x 1))

The reason this works is because all the bindings are in the same phase. That
is, everything was defined in the same pass. Now let's shift it all one phase
up, which will break the program because it no longer sees my-macro, or even
enough of racket/base to apply functions.

#lang racket/base
(require (for-syntax "lib.rkt"))
(my-macro #'(x 1))

Right now `my-macro` is in phase 1 relative to this module. So we have to
"lift" the rest of the code to match.

#lang racket/base
(require (for-syntax racket/base "lib.rkt"))
(begin-for-syntax (my-macro #'(x 1)))

This still isn't particularly useful because most of the time, a module manages
multiple phases at once. It can be harder to visualize, but the principle is
the same: When code runs at a certain phase, is everything that code needs to
run also available at that phase? It's still just Racket. I like to visualize
it as running at a different "layer" on top of the code that I know will
eventually execute at runtime. Here's another example that can help drive the
point home. Run it using the `racket` command.

#lang racket/base
(require (for-syntax racket/base))

(define a "foo")
(define-for-syntax a 1)

(displayln a)
(begin-for-syntax (displayln a))

Notice that you see "1" first, before "foo", even though the displayln for the
"1" is after the displayln for "foo".

So to answer your question, if you have something you want available across
phases, you need to bind that same value across phases. Here's a simplified
example.

#lang racket/base
(require (for-syntax racket/base))

(define-syntax-rule (define-across-phases id v)
(begin (define id v)
(define-for-syntax id v)))

(define-across-phases a 1)

(displayln a)

(begin-for-syntax (displayln a))

Notice that I leverage a phase to define an identifier twice: Once for the
current phase, and once for the phase +1 "layer" up.

But... I normally do bind across phases using (require) with both for-syntax
and without a phase shift. e.g. (require "lib.rkt" (for-syntax "lib.rkt")).
There are times I'll need cross-phase definitions only within one module, but
it doesn't come up much for me.

Hope this helps.

--
~slg