> Allowing (un)docking is a good idea (if applicable), but switching
> between panels and frames is unnecessarily complicated ... a frame can
> be drawn floating or docked, resizeable or not, with or without borders,
> system menu, captions, toolbar, menubar, etc. - so visually it can be
> made to /appear/ as if a panel when docked, and as if a window when
> undocked.  It's a lot easier to just redraw the frame(s) with different
> settings than to try to maintain multiple different object hierarchies
> or to try to reassign parentage on the fly (which is mistake prone if
> many functions are handled by the parent).
>

>From my (limited but some) experience of working with rackets gui, I
definitively would prefer reparenting (or maybe even dynamic
reconstruction) over,
trying to syncronize window movements with other floating windows. Maybe
create some kind of mixin for un-/dockable panels or just a single class
that you can use multiple times,
but haven't worked out the details just a bit similar to old stuff I did.

What you describe makes me think that maybe you describe this from a
perspective of using windows apis directly?
Where that may be easier?

Anyways in the end pick an approach run with it make it work, in general
this thread seems to vague / there isn't a clear objective and it runs into
multiple directions...