(I apologize - unaccountably, I sent this earlier to Sean only - not my intention!)

Sean,

Thanks very much for your help. See comments below...

|radiant --database [mysql|postresql|sqlite3] path/to/project

Didn't work for me. More likely I simply don't know what I'm doing.

My initial problem is the IDEA of the "radiant" command. What is that? The command, as given on the page, doesn't seem to work on the command line. Thinking that I'm having problems with starting in the right working directory, I tried "radiant help" (just guessing that that's possible) in:
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/radiant-0.6.4
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems
and in both cases got just "bash: radiant: command not found"

I also got that to this: "radiant --database sqlite3 "/home/tom/Ruby projects - Toms/radiant-test-CMS"" (no surprise)

Something is apparently obvious to everyone but me, so I'm blowing it. Can someone tell me what it is?

It's not necessarily that obvious. Because Ruby and RubyGems seem to be installed in a strange place (/usr or /usr/local is typical), it's likely that the "radiant" command is not in your PATH environment variable.

First, try this command:

$ which radiant

If it returns nothing,
exactly what happened...
then it's not in the path. Because RubyGems seems to be installed under /var/lib/gems, try looking for the command under /var/bin.
I don't have that directory. What am I looking for? Being a bit new to
Linux, I'm still baffled by files which have no extension - and this
looks like it might be one of those, but...all attempts to locate
"radiant" as such a file have failed.
If it and any other gem scripts are there ('rails' or 'spec' for instance),
They're in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/
add that to your path. You'll probably need to do this in ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login or ~/.bashrc, whichever your system uses. Add this line:

export PATH=$PATH:/var/bin
Well, I had earlier had a problem with some gem - I don't recall which -
and was advised to modify /etc/profile, and did by adding:

PATH=$PATH:/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/
export PATH

That solved that earlier problem, but not this current one. I'm deeply
puzzled by this. I don't have problem with any other gems. Just the
radiant one, and it IS sitting in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/ - radiant-0.6.4

Then you should be able to run the 'radiant' command. As today is "Radiant Day", I'll be in the IRC room most of the day. Feel free to bring your question to me there!
Thanks for the offer. Didn't get to this until about 2AM Saturday
morning. Didn't think you'd be in the IRC room. Went there, posted a
message, and got no reply. Maybe catch you there another time.

I have updated the system file database (or whatever it's called) - with
"sudo updatedb", and rerun the "locate" and "whereis" commands for
"radiant". "whereis" produced nothing. "locate" spewed out the files in
"/var/lib/gems/1.8/doc/radiant-0.6.4/", of course. It also listed
"/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/radiant", so, I executed the

radiant --database sqlite3 "/home/tom/Ruby projects - Toms/radiant-test-CMS"

command I'd tried earlier, from within that dir, and once again got:
bash: radiant: command not found

Nothing works. Nothing. Very disappointing.

I'm obviously very open to further ideas. And thanks for your help to
this point.

t.

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< [EMAIL PROTECTED] >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
<< directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)