>>  Particularly given the few people using it, and the 'fragility'
>> of the code..
>
> I don't think it's really "few".

I still can't get it to work for my simple examples in the book, and
I'm not documenting it in the second edition because of that. I've
tried to find folks to look at the problems I'm seeing, but to no
avail, so as far as it seems from the outside (to me at least) this
is unworking and unmaintained code.

act_as_nested_set is definitely on the growing list of things that'll
be split into plugins by 1.3. Others on that list includes all the
Ajax macros (in_place_editor etc), pagination, and possibly
acts_as_list/acts_as_tree.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson
http://www.basecamphq.com   -- Online project management