Not without even more magic. Test::Unit::TestCase has an inherited method that tries to build a test suite from any test_* methods in the subclass.

Executing this code:

require 'test/unit'
class FunctionalTest < Test::Unit::TestCase; end

Produces:
 1) Failure:
default_test:2
No tests were specified.

You could define a fake test, but then the test and assertion count will be off.

Kevin Clark wrote:
Is there a reason we don't just create a new subclass of
Test::Unit::TestCase called ControllerTest (or FunctionalTest) and
inheirit from that instead? We don't have to worry about the magic and
it's still backwards compatible.