Hi Leif,

On 05/04/2017 04:33 PM, Middelschulte, Leif wrote:

Now, about my second question: How does a custom hook script communicate its
progress back to the install-handler (i.e. rauc service)?

I'd go modify rauc's update_handler.c, set the G_SUBPROCESS_FLAGS_STDOUT_PIPE
flag for the spawned slot script-process and read back the progress and
propagate it to the DBus interface using
r_context_send_progress.
Is that the right direction here?

in RAUC, the progress is generated by adding a 'step' for an action you perform. When starting the action you call r_context_begin_step(), when terminating the action you call r_context_end_step(). It is important to know that steps have a nesting depth that allows visualizers to control the granularity of information they show.
A step can also be marked as either successful or failed.

An example is the "Determining slot states" step:

r_context_begin_step("determine_slot_states", "Determining slot states", 0);
  [...]
  r_context_end_step("determine_slot_states", res);

Thus, this should be the interface to use to add new steps.

The current granularity we have does not go deeper than "Copying image". This will be called for both a default install handler as well as for an install hook.

If you ask for progress from the install hook, you intend to be more fine-grained with your messages?

Best regards, Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |