Someday I will print up some teeshirts that say "The gravel is always
smoother on the other side."

Michael had some great advice when he suggested hanging onto the bars
loosely.  Very much a let the bike go where it wants to and make subtle
corrections when the opportunity presents itself.  Relax, look for one of
the 2 or 3 lines that tend to form toward the middle of the road where cars
travel.  Sometimes there can be a smoother line toward the edge, it all
depends upon how well the county does on grading.

Freshly spread rock or a recently graded road can be unpleasant, but
generally only for a few miles.  Conditions can vary widely for different
road, the time of year, and weather. I rode with a good friend on a tour
from Minnesota to Iowa for a few days and back again.  We took the
opportunity to ride gravel on a number of occasions for a couple of hundred
miles.  In the western part of Iowa, the gravel is very loose almost sandy
and it was difficult to sometimes pick a good line, particularly in the
dark.

Even with fully-loaded touring bikes, there is something almost magical
that happens once you can get up to a certain speed.  The bike just sorta
rolls over the top and things almost feel like they get easier?  Watching
someone else in front of you bounce around on the road, particularly on a
fast decent can be a little intimidating.  Out front, unable to see the
rocks flying off a back wheel or the bike bounce around somehow is more
confidence inspiring.

I love riding the gravel roads... the unpredictable conditions, the
interesting challenge that requires some concentration.  The narrower more
intimate feel of being near the farm fields and rural areas.  Having a
level of comfort and confidence riding gravel opens up a whole new network
of roads to explore.

Have fun and share the adventure...