I deal a lot with manufacturers shipping.  Federal Express generally
runs lower in number of claims.  Of course statistics don't help much
when it's YOUR claim.  Sorry to see the damage.  The good thing about
Rivendell shipping frames is that the seat lug has been protected with
a bit of an aluminum plug clamped firmly in place with the seat post
binder to protect.

Hope that you can come to a speedy and economical resolution.