Thanks Gary for the info on the Tour Dee Palm Springs.  I will be in
town the night of the 18th and leaving on the 20th.

Dustin, the Palm Canyon Epic looks fantastic, but I don't think I
would try that solo in unfamiliar territory and my Atlantis has
couplers so I can travel with it, my off-roaders do not.

There are a variety of more "urban" rides and maps in the Palm Springs
area proper.  I was thinking I would do some shorter rides 'round
town, but would like to get out for one ride on a more grand scale.
Something like this: http://tinyurl.com/y8kohpf

Ideally somehow figure out how to close the loop between Banning and
Palm Springs.  Looks like there might be some type of irrigation ditch
or something that most of the non-interstate routes don't cross?
Perhaps I should just set out with the bike in a counter-clockwise
direction armed with map and try it?

I will perhaps need to make some phone calls to local bikes shops and
the local riding clubs, but am afraid that I might get typical "oh,
you want smooth pavement so you can go fast" route recommendations.
I'm looking more for something off the beaten path Country Bike route.