I don't know about weight, length, or any real specifications that
make them different.  I have two lugged stems on two different
bicycles; on my Rivendell custom all-rounder, and one on a custom Curt
Goodrich.  I have regular Nitto stems on my Atlantis and on another
custom Rivendell road bike.

There is a noticable difference in stiffness when the front of the
bike is loaded down with weight. I'd like to get another lugged stem
for the Atlantis for when touring with front panniers.  I have no
desire to add one to the other Rivendell road. Mostly, it's an
aesthetic thing that one looks at and says; "Wow, what a beautiful bit
of ridable art."