I've used low-riders and the Rivendell Nitto big front rack.

On an old Trek 520 (before Rivendell acquisition) I used both older
Blackburn low-riders and the Nitto.  I prefer the Nitto.

I have also used the Nitto on my custom Rivendell All-Rounder for
touring and now on my Atlantis.  I really like the Nitto rack. The
bags ride a bit higher (I run the bags in the lower position), but
this added some welcome clearance from the ground.  My old panniers
have several tears and scuffs from taking corners too aggressively. I
also like the platform up front. I've ridden with a basket zip-tied on
which is one of the greatest things to tour with.  Toss things in,
easy to reach, etc.