For what it is worth- those similarly inclined to try to polish their
kickstands.  There are lots of rough spots and irregularities to surface
including a seam from where they are cast. I used a flat file to smooth out
the seam and a palm sander to sand the surface smooth before attempting the
polish. It's messy work so recommend gloves and a face-mask. I used a
progression of sandpaper from 220/400/600/1000/2000. After the 2000 the
surface can easily be buffed to a mirror finish by hand using an aluminum
polish like Mothers Aluminum Polish, or use a buffing wheel to make the
process quicker.