From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
<RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA> on behalf of Jenifer K Marquardt <j...@uga.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:29 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Cost of Retrospective Conversion for Legacy Data (Was RDA
Toolkit Price Change)

Some basic conversion is being done by vendors, though, of course, adding
relationship designators isn't an easily automated process.  Just as an
example, here is the announcement from our authorities vendor MARCIVE.   I've
left in the contact and marketing information just in case anyone is
interested.  Jenifer

MARCIVE RDA Conversion Service Underway
September 9, 2013

Since January 2013, MARCIVE has begun offering standard RDA Conversion (RDACS)
as a part of both backfile and ongoing authorities processing at no additional
cost, and a number of libraries have come on board.   These libraries chose to
have RDACS performed as a part of their authorities projects for different
reasons. For example, the Univ. of Houston did it as a part of a migration
project. For more information see the presentation that Richard Guajardo gave
on this at the ALA Annual Conference at
http://home.marcive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ALA2013-RDA-Guajardo-Final.ppt.

We’ve performed this processing on a variety of libraries with different
integrated library systems.

If you are a current customer of our Overnight Authorities Service, you can
request that we turn on RDACS for free beginning with the next file you send to
us. Here are the instructions:

    Send an email to dthom...@marcive.com and include
    MARCIVE ID code or codes to be updated
    Full name of your library
    Your name and email address
    State “Perform full RDACS processing for OA”
    Provide your library’s organizational code from the MARC Code List for
Organizations
    Choose an option for your General Material Designation (GMD):

“Retain GMD in 245 $h”
“Delete GMD from 245.”
“Copy GMD to 500 note.”

Does your system still require the GMD (at least for now)? We can create one
where lacking for a one-time nominal fee.

Want more information on what is included in RDACS? Start with this brief
presentation at
http://home.marcive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ALA2013-RDA-July.ppt

Or contact a Marketing Representative at 800-531-7678 with any questions you
have. We speak RDA!
ALA Midwinter 201

Jenifer K. Marquardt
Asst. Head of Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-1641