That RDA bit about allowing an access point to replace transcription
worries me, apart from 440. My old cataloguing teacher said all access
points ("added entries" she called them) had to be "justified" by the
description or a note.  Makes sense to me.

Even the authorized form of series title changes sometimes, meaning that a
440 in a bibliographic could be flipped to a form that no longer matches
what appears on a given issue or part of a series.  Currently the only way
to ensure that this never happens would be to always use 490 1 for
transcription and 8XX for access, even if they are identical (unless there
is some way for systems or vendors to change a 440 to a 490 and then add
an 830 when the authorized form of a series is changed).

--Adam

* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *