On Jul 2, 2007, at 4:37 PM, Martha Yee wrote:

 Can anyone on this list point us to working entity-relationship
model applications accessible over the web in which we can see one
entity being used in the user-readable string that identifies
another entity in all displays (both lists and single record
displays)?  Can one entity (e.g., work) be searched using variant
names of two entities (e.g., work and author)?

As a software engineer with a computer science degree, I would stake
anything I have to stake on the assurance that "one entity being used
in the user-readable string that identifies another entity" is
_quite_ an ordinary thing to do. But I'm having trouble coming up
with good real-world examples. Perhaps partially because in real
world examples we don't always know exactly what the underlying data
model is, neccesarily.  Perhaps because it's in fact such a common
situation. I will look for a good example.

But the (literally) textbook basic hypothetical example for teaching
Entity-Relationship Modelling is Employees and Departments. Both are
entities, each employee has one department, each department has many
employees.  (As a textbook starting example; of course it would also
be possible to model a situation where each Employee can have 1 to N
Departments).  When developing such a 'hypothetical' example
application for classes, I and many other students have made
applications where listings of Employees show their Departments right
next to the Employee name (in whatever screen formatting or
composition the designer might want), and an Employee record detail
page shows you the Department that Employee belongs to, and likewise
a Department record detail page shows you all of it's Employees.

This is quite a common situation. Works and Authors are no different,
in regard to an Entity-Relational model being _quite_ capable of
modelling this, and certainly allowing "one entity to be used in the
user-readable string that identifies another entity", for any related
entities (so long as this relationship is modelled), on any screen at
all.

I personally indeed like very much the set-theoretical approach to
the bibliographic entities that Martha Yee has promulgated.  I do not
think it is _one bit_ incompatible with the Entity-Relational model
of FRBR.  I do think the narrative of FRBR would benefit by
explaining the set theoretical nature of the relationships, it would
make it much easier to understand what they are for the new reader.
But these set-theoretical relationships  can still be modelled by an
entity-relational model--in fact, in my opinion, that's exactly what
the FRBR entity-relational model is modelling.

Jonathan

We need a model that recognizes that many works important to our
users are identified by BOTH their authors and their titles.  We
need a model that recognizes that the author is more important as
an attribute of a work than as an entity in its own right.
Catalogs are bibliographical tools, not biographical tools.

Martha M. Yee
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sara Shatford Layne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]