Rinne, Nathan (ESC) wrote:

  to page 4, and all of a sudden, up at the top, it reads "Books 31 - 38 of
38"!  What happened to the 215 books )

I suspect this is the result of their "de-duping". They do this also
with web pages, but it's less obvious. With web pages, they retrieve
1000 pages out of your search (presumably the ones with the highest page
rank), then they de-duplicate that group. So although there is a
theoretical limit of 1000 pages that you can actually view (out of the
hundreds of thousands of "hits" that they list), in fact you often are
only able to view many fewer because some have been removed as
duplicates. This is rarely noticed because few users attempt to go
beyond the first few pages. (I once saw an explanation of this on Google
itself, but cannot find it now.)

kc

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net