Martha Yee wrote:

“Research in catalog use is very difficult to carry out for a number of
reasons.

I've been trying to find a copy of the report that Karen Markey did for
the Future of Bibliographic Control meeting in Mountain View. In it she
has a grid that has subject knowledge on one axis and library catalog
knowledge on another. And users can have or not have either of those and
so you end up with a grid that is something like:

yes subject/no catalog     yes subject/yes catalog
no subject/no catalog      no subject/yes catalog

The bottom left (at least in my grid) are what she calls the "double
negatives" -- people who aren't knowledgeable about the topic they are
researching, and who aren't knowledgeable about how to use the library
catalog.

The key thing that I'm missing is that I believe she had been able to
put numbers to these -- does anyone have a copy of her report? (We
really should get it up on the FoBC web site if it is available.) In any
case, I think this echoes some of the issues that Martha states in her
quote, that some users are entirely at sea, both in their topic area and
in the library. What I really like about the both the facets that some
catalogs are now offering and the topic maps that some attempt (not
always very successfully), is that the catalog itself is suggesting
additional directions both in terms of using the catalog but also in
terms of browsing in the topic area. This seems to me to be a rich area
to explore, especially if we are able to implement more of the
relationships that FRBR outlines between entities and between works. I
do suspect, however, that to do this successfully we will need to
utilize different data structures for our bibliographic data, some of
which are made possible by RDA.

kc

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net