Looks like a PRECIS string to me.  Derek Austin would be pleased.

-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 2:31 PM
To: RDA-L@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] LC WG Report: Section 4 comments by Martha Yee

Martha Yee wrote:

> 4.3.2.1  FAST is an example of a project that breaks up LCSH strings
into
> individual facets, thereby losing the information about the
relationship
> among various subject facets that is implicit in the LCSH
precoordinated
> string of facets.  Admittedly, the information about the relationships
is
> somewhat ambiguous at times, but users need more information, not
less.
> Instead of breaking up the strings and losing information, it would be
more
> useful to explicitly encode more of the relationships (such as 'effect
of A
> on B' or 'participation of X group in Y activity').  (That is, if we
are
> going to talk about spending the considerable amount of money and time
it
> would take to restructure LCSH; who was going to pay for this
again?...)

Yes, this one really bothers me.  A resource about physicians from China
and also about veterinarians from Vietnam would get these LCSH headings:

Physicians--China
Veterinarians--Vietnam

In FAST, you get:

Physicians
Veterinarians
China
Vietnam

Can a user figure out the context from the FAST headings?  Maybe if the
title is explicit, or a summary note is present, or there is a table of
contents.  Keyword searching will work just as well on both the LCSH
strings and the FAST terms, so to exactly what benefit is it to lose the
inherent semantic meaning of the precoordinated string other than
perhaps
to save some cataloging time or enable a less highly trained level of
staff assign the terms?

Now admitted, as Martha wrote, the precoordinated strings are not
perfect,
since Physicians--China can mean physicians IN China and/or physicians
from China (i.e. Chinese physicians).  I agree with Martha that it would
be better to develop a way to explicitly code the relationship, e.g.
something like:

650 _0  $a Physicians $i in $z China.

--Adam Schiff

* Adam L. Schiff                     *