I'm somewhat uncomfortable being thrown into the position of apologist for the
draft RDA, but I would make two points as regards Kevin's examples:

(1) omitting a statement of responsibility when corresponding access points are
provided is not the same as inserting those access points into the statement of
responsibility
(2) when adaptations or other relationships are involved, a note relating the
resources clarifies the situation in a more formal way (one that ideally can be
interpreted by machine as well as human)

Nagy, Phyllis. The talented Mr Ripley
  Published: Harlow : Pearson Education, 2001.
  Dramatization of: Highsmith, Patricia, 1921-1995. The talented Mr Ripley

Hinkle, Kevin. The talented Mr Ripley
  Published: London : Methuen Drama, 1999.
  Adaptation of: Highsmith, Patricia, 1921-1995. The talented Mr Ripley

Highsmith, Patricia, 1921-1995. The talented Mr Ripley
  Published: Stuttgart : Reclam, 2005.
  Herbert Geisen, editor

Ed Jones
National University (San Diego, Calif.)