I will raise counterpoint that I have always disliked the format
structure of AACR.  Particularly annoying have been the plethora of
format-specific rules that effectively say, "Record information about
[insert element] as instructed in 1.[#.X].  This increasingly has become
a source of frustration with digital reproductions where one has to flip
back and forth between the primary format chapter of the content,
augmented by the electronic resources chapter for the carrier, and
returning to chapter 1.  Order of element issues aside, I am very much
looking forward to a set of rules where each element is coherently
addressed in one section, across all formats.  Further, I can only
foresee that this rearrangement will highlight the hodge-podge of
approaches each format has sometimes engendered for treating each
individual element, leading to further resolution of the differences
between them.

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.