"For the time being, RDA is doing away with most of the square bracket
practices of AACR2, relegating such bracketed or amplifying information to
notes.  Gone too is the use of Latin abbreviations and abbreviations in
general."

As I recall, one reason for doing away with abbreviations like "s.l." and
even "etc." was that patrons allegedly find these abbreviations confusing if
not stupefying. Over the holidays I read a news report (also cited on
several librarian-oriented email discussion lists) that found that "Young
adults are the heaviest users of public libraries" [from an article by Anick
Jesdanun from the AP, published in the Wisconsin State Journal--the other
WSJ--on Monday, Dec. 31, 2007, p. A9]. We have also been told by the
Gotta-Change-Everything-Yesterday Chorus that this is the group that lacks
the patience to put up with our stodgy approaches to providing information
and retrievability because they're used to search engines like Google and
information sites like Wikis that provide information--or at least
results--instantly.

What I don't understand is this: if the people who have grown up with
connectivity (the young adults referred to in the AP article) are so
disenchanted with our OPACs because they aren't as quick or facile as Google
et al. are also the ones who find Latin abbreviations so disorienting as to
cause them to bolt from the library, why do we then assume that these same
potential patrons are too befuddled to look up abbrevations like "s.l.,"
"etc.," and even "op. cit." on Google or Wikipedia when they encounter these
horrifying space and keystroke savers, then click back to the OPAC? On the
one hand they're too sophisticated to put up with current OPACs, but on the
other hand they're too cowed by unfamiliar terms to click over to a simple
search engine? Really?

The second hit on a Google search of "op cit" [note lack of punctuation in
search] is a link to Wikipedia, where the first line reads "Op. cit. (Latin,
short for "opus citatum"/"opere citato," meaning "the work cited/from the
cited work") is the term used to provide an endnote or footnote citation to
refer the reader to an earlier citation. To find the Op. cit. source, one
has to look at the previous footnotes to find the relevant author." Talk
about your heavy data lifting. The second hit on a search for "et al"--sans
punctuation or quotation marks in the Google search--is the definition from
the Free Online Dictionary. So now I'm wondering not only who those
multitudinous "other metadata communities" waiting for our new cataloging
rules are, but who these impatient, sophisticated electronic searchers who
don't know to go to Google or Wikipedia for simple definitions are. And
what's with those extraneous first results in the Google searches?

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]