I remember early in my library career and while still in my public
service days, my shock at learning of a high school aged patron looking
up George Washington in the "G" volume of the encyclopedia.  But then my
paper address book had entries formatted directly, even if they were
filed under last initial.  Now my cell phone address book files in
exactly the direct order I've entered names (except for close friends
who have numerical prefixes so they file first and for library
colleagues who have z prefixes so they file together and only a few
clicks up).  I can enter names in my Outlook address book in direct
order and it offers me the option of direct or indirect order indexing
for each entry.  I now look up people in Wikipedia by entering their
name in direct order.  Also I frequently do direct entry keyword
searching in OCLC's authorities rather than inverted format, command
line searching.

In a paper world where indexing was sequential, the logical arrangement
of inverted entry and indexing made sense.  In an electronic world where
indexing is random access, and where relationships are more likely made
apparent via hyperlinks than proximity in an index, the need for
inverted entry is less necessary.  I still worry about the loss of
overall skills of information organization and contextualization, but in
the electronic context, why shouldn't someone be able to look up an
entry under and see that entry as "George Washington"?

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.
Schenectady NY 12308