Bernhard Eversberg wrote:

And can anything be said about the expected cost of access thereafter?
How long will the draft be available? Has any date been named?
The question of cost came up at the RDA update meeting at ALA. Don
Chatham, of ALA publishing, said that they do not yet have an estimated
cost. He did say that there would be a "formula", probably based on
simultaneous accesses (did I hear that right?), but they also expected
that they would negotiate pricing with the larger consortia (because
that's how those organizations operate).

I believe I heard that the draft period is 3 months.

So, will there be a way, eventually, to obtain structured (XML or
whichever ...ML) text files and try other approaches with them, like a
wiki or some sort of database for open access and collaboration?
Wouldn't it be appropriate, in this time and age, to encourage novel
approaches in addition to conventional marketing of a product? Esp. if
envisioning to convince other constituencies.
The "product" includes some interesting features that allow libraries to
customize their view, including creating their own work flows and adding
content for their catalogers (such as their local rules for a field).
Someone asked about getting the files and running it themselves, but
Nannette Naught, who is developing the online product, said that there
are many dependencies built in, implying that it would be too difficult.
There wasn't really an answer about the ability to purchase the XML files.

In terms of print, Chatham stated that they are willing to consider
"derivative" print products, but that there isn't enough of a market to
make printing the whole thing (which is twice as long as AACR2 in its
print form today) economical. My understanding of the XML file structure
tells me that it should be possible to pull off and format a "concise"
for printing.

kc

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net