If I could point out something rather uncomfortable, it could be argued that
Google is far more powerful in the area of information retrieval than all of
the libraries in the world put together. Here we are, arguing about MARC or in
some cases, OAI-PMH, and Google has already dumped OAI-PMH in favor of XML
sitemaps (which I have no experience with), See:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/04/retiring-support-for-oai-pmh-in.html

I think it is a safe bet to believe that most of the world will go with Google.
Where does that leave MARC?

Again, I think there is a major place for librarians and especially catalogers
in this scenario, but we must reconsider what we are really doing and where our
strengths lie. I don't believe that our strengths lie in formats or
authoritative rules, but in other areas of intellectual selection, description,
and organization. If we reconsider ourselves in this way, I think our skills
are unique.

Jim Weinheimer