Diane:

I actually think that OCLC has done a very good job integrating and making copy-specific information accessible on the Web. We were worried about making the transition from RLIN, with its individual records for each institution's copy of an item, to WorldCat, with its master record structure. We're quite happy with the way our institutional records work well and play well with master records. Now if they could just adjust the displays for visual materials so that they worked the same as for books or manuscripts, all would be gas and gaiters.

Liz O'Keefe

>>> "Diane I. Hillmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/13/2008 11:13 PM >>>
Adam:

Thanks for pointing this out--I've had little experience using WorldCat,
and wasn't really aware of these particular problems.  This seems so
counterintuitive--libraries have been complaining for years that their
vendors have made so little use of the richness of MARC records, and
here's OCLC building systems that use even less.  Liz's additional point
about how the data is "dumbed-down" then reconstructed ignoring data
that specifies the relationship of the person to the resource suggests
to me that OCLC might be going the way of Ford/GM/Chrysler. The current
downward trajectory of those three companies suggest that there isn't
much hope for organizations who stick with their broken strategies
despite  all indications that the world is changing around them.

But at least the big three aren't requiring those who own their cars to
wear teeshirts with their logos everywhere they go.

Diane