Terri, Greta, et al.,

Terri, we have discussed your situation before, and I brought it up in the
CC:DA meetings.  Believe me, you are not alone in this when it comes to
small and medium libraries.  I know several librarians who not only
print-out things from their home computer on their time, but read
library-related emails at home because their budget is restricted, or they
are working the reference desk part-time  ... AND have to call a circ.
person to sit at the desk whilst they go to the WC.

As the PLA representative to CC:DA, I must say that when public library
technical service librarians heard about AACR3, I had lots of discussion as
there was general interest.  Now, with RDA, I get glazed-over looks.  It is
NOT because they are unintelligent, rigid, or any of those negative
connotations.  Lack of time to learn and implement something new is ...
well, let us say that their plates need to be serving platter-sized.

BTW, within the last year, I may have had two personal inquiries regarding
RDA.  My question is ... why only two?  Fortunately, I am seeing some active
discussion on this list.

Most small and medium-sized public libraries do not do their own cataloging;
it is done by networks, whose budgets are smaller than some of the small
libraries.  They are trim and lean in their staff; but, trim is one thing --
emaciated is another.  Within networks, there is a specific budget based on
library size.  Some libraries have 250,000 volumes, while some have 2,500.
Dealing with RDA training and implementation is just as important as
purchasing subscriptions for electronic journals, periodicals, etc.  Sad,
but true -- 'tis the squeaky wheel that gets the grease ...

There are several public libraries that I know of in my state of
Massachusetts who are dept. heads who will admit to me that they don't know
how to catalog any longer -- perhaps safe to say, "I haven't cataloged in 10
years."

I am not going to get into the debate of paper vs. electronic format for
RDA.  It has been discussed here quite a bit.  my  My personal preference is
that I can edit and annotate freely (you should see my copy of AACR2 and
especially the LCRIs!) my personal paper copy; I prefer using the schedules
for paper when classifying using LC; and electronic Dewey when classifying
using DDC.  I learned by using paper; so is then paper, therefore, what I am
used to?  People use tools differently to their effectiveness and
efficiency.  I assure you, the biggest factor to these public libraries
using RDA will be price.

Rob Hall.
PLA rep. to CC:DA

--