James said:

>Of course, there is a problem: almost nobody in the real world is interested
>in =
>the "work" as such. ... very few are also interested in the Greek and
>Japanese expressions ...

The difficulty I have with the concept of such links is that if a
particular collection did not have those expressions/manifestations,
they would not have the records to which to link.  Should they link to
records via the Internet for resources they do not own, or which are
not available electronically for remote access?   Presumably a library
catalogue would only have the records for manifestations available in
their collection either in physical form or by remote access, with
associated expression and work records?

The links in any work/expression/manifestation record would differ for
every library, since no two libraries would have the same galaxy of
expressions/manifestations.  Wouldn't this halt exchange of records
which could be used without extensive local changes?  Wasn't this the
fact which killed multivers at the Toronto Conference?

How would we as a cataloguing outsource agency know what
expressions/manifestations are in a particular client collection?
Even if we had access to their catalogue, could they afford to pay us
to do the checking required?   Could *any* library afford to do it for
themselves?