J. McRee (Mac) Elrod wrote:

> Accurate transcription of the title as on the item, even if titles as
> found on containers are substituted for DVDs and CD-ROMs, seems to me
> to remain the basis of patron helpful cataloguing.  Variant forms of
> the title as found in CIP or publisher produced metadata are helpful
> (in MARC terms) as 246s, but not 245s.
>
> Your humble member of the cult of the title page,

And I guess I'll play my normal role of the wild, anarcho-syndicalist. ;-)

Cutter and his comrades were dealing with other technologies and assumed that a
particular resource would not change. Therefore, a title page was forever, just
as the extent, the place of publication and so on. That is as true today as it
was then.

But with virtual resources (I hesitate even to use the term "electronic
resources") all of this must be reconsidered. Even in printed materials, the
weird publications (loose-leaf) didn't fit into the classical norms all that
well, since updates could change a publication completely. Everything previous
was thrown into the transfer box more or less randomly for the user to figure
out.

With online materials, the older versions often completely disappear
(unfortunately) and the record made so carefully by transcribing the title page
may end up describing nothing at all.

This does not mean that we should reconsider cataloging printed materials--our
rules work very well as they are now--but the problem arises when we try to
insist that the same rules must operate in the virtual world. They don't make
sense. This is why I feel it would be more productive to leave the
tried-and-true methods alone and simply consider virtual materials to be
fundamentally different--which is true. We do this now with manuscripts in many
ways, where the rule of transcription of the "title" of a draft of a speech or
letter that was dashed off in a couple of seconds and full of typos is not
necessarily transcribed exactly.

How should virtual materials be handled? That is a huge question whose answers
must evolve with time, but does it mean that we should reconsider the tried and
true methods of describing physical materials because of some theoretical
belief that all materials must be handled in the same ways? To me, it doesn't
make sense  that it is so important to transcribe faithfully the chief source
of information for a title of a virtual resource when it may change in a week
or within the next 5 minutes. It doesn't serve the purpose of the cataloger or
the user and can lead only to confusion for all.

What is the solution? Again, that can come only with trial and error. I have
some ideas of my own but I admit they may not work. But still, I do not see how
these considerations should change how we transcribe the title of a book or
serial.

Jim Weinheimer