> Dan Matei wrote:

But I think this misses the point: does WEMI define the universe of
information, *and* define what people want when they search information? From
my understanding of FRBR/RDA, everything must be boiled down to WEMI.

Certainly if I have a book by one author and they make a movie out of it, that
may be one thing, but there are almost infinite possibilities today. What if I
have a single document in XML that outputs MSWord, pdf, HTML, text, djvu and so
on? Each output has different "page numbers" and can look completely
differently, but they are all have exactly the same information. Many
newspapers are produced this way so that they don't have to make separate paper
versions and an online version.

Even among these different versions, there may be specific outputs for a
different screen sizes, for different browsers, or on a specific mobile phone
(becoming more popular) and now probably with different ebook readers.
Remember, these versions are derived from one, single file, and most of these
versions are only "virtual" i.e. while they can be printed, they won't be.

Add to this a mashup of bits and pieces of separate items of information from
different websites using APIs, each of which may have gone through a similar
transformation as mentioned above. It seems to me that trying to relate this to
WEMI is literally mind-blowing and an exercise in futility.

I see our task as trying to give access to this information in the most
coherent way for our users. Is seeing everything through "WEMI-colored lenses"
the only way, the best way, or even a correct way, of doing it?

Jim Weinheimer