What is required to make this sort of addition useful is people who are willing and able to add the information. The rare materials cataloging community is used to doing this sort of thing, both for the local catalog and to existing records in "OCLC." I would suspect that some music libraries also go to the trouble of adding these terms. I suspect that enabling searching on such terms is a matter of including the subfield in the index.

No search gets you "all" the resources in a catalog; it simply gets you the resources that have been indexed, so, e.g., articles in a Festschrift are frequently not retrieved. Unless you have normalized or established access points, the search will not pull up "everything." So, the problem of incompleteness should not deter us from the attempt. Besides, as Ranganathan pointed out, the future is longer than the past. Until the apocalypse, of course.

Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM  88003