Well, as John Myers said previously, and I agree:

"I am afraid that these standing granularity issues between the various descriptive standards (AACR2, ISBD, RDA, DACS, etc.) and between each descriptive standard and the communication standard (MARC or MARC21) are going to play havoc with the visions of easy machine processing"

If you want to be able to output to a record format with a _higher_ (more specific) granularity than RDA itself has.... this is a barrier to doing this without manual intervention. It's a barrier to the idea of "catalog once for RDA and output in whatever record format you want". Can't really do that if the record format you want to output in has a more specific granularity than RDA itself.

I'm aware that this idea/vision in the first place has not been bought into by some on this list.

Jonathan