Quoting Benjamin A Abrahamse <babra...@mit.edu>:

This is perhaps only tangentially RDA-related.

But if it was possible to convert MARC data into RDF-like statements, we could move away from what I see as a lot of the unnecessary work of thinking about and comparing *records* instead of thinking about data points. Instead of building and maintaining large stores of records, or trying to perform the Sisyphysian task of making a single standard for the one "best" record in each and every circumstance is, we could focus on building networks of cataloging institutions who have shared needs or interests (similar userbases, collections, etc.) and getting the best (that is, most appropriate to the particular needs of our institutions) data available.

YES YES YES! It should make our data more re-usable/exchangeable because individual statements can be used as needed, even if the whole "record" isn't wanted. AS an example, libraries and publishers could share those data elements that they do have in common, while ignoring all of the things they don't. Libraries only care about the height of a book, but publishers need all three dimensions plus weight because they have to ship them out in large quantities. That fact shouldn't mean that we can't pull in the ISBN and publication year from the publishers' records.

This is not so tangential to RDA, in my mind. Because we do need to create RDA "data", and RDA has based itself on FRBR, and FRBR is based on an entity-relation model, which is much closer to the semantic web model than the unit-record model of AACR and MARC. The upshot being that RDA defines relationships between entites, and those relationships could become the basis for a thing/relationship-based data carrier, rather than the unit-record that we have now. The difference between Scenario 1 and Scenario 0 is that in scenario 1 the relationships are only between entities (and the entities look like complex records), while in scenario 0 the relationships are at a more granular level, between all of the elements of the bibliographic description. So rather than just having a Work that relates to an Expression, you have relationships between all of the attributes of the work: author, title, subjects, form. It just takes the model down a level. And it means that the relationships, like "author of" are explicit.

Which I think is how this thread got started, if I look up to the subject line: RDA relationships.

Now my head is swimming, so I better take a break.

Oh, BTW: http://metadataregistry.org/rdabrowse.htm defines the RDA elements in a semantic web-compatible way. But we still need tools to create the data.

kc
--
Karen Coyle