From: J. McRee Elrod [mailto:m...@slc.bc.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:18 PM
To: Ed Jones
Cc: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Provider neutral records

Ed Jones said:

>I've always been puzzled that we allow a range of content variation
>in "provider-neutral" records for electronic resources that we would
>never allow in records for other media.

I agree absolutely.  We find many of the e-publishers for whom we
provide MARC records do more than just provide a PDF of the original
text.  Not only may they differ (e.g., colour vs. black and white
illustrations, or no illustratons), but the provider may add value,
ranging form gathering in subject series to adding related video and
audio files.  That's why we like 260$abc for the original publisher,
and 260$e$f$g for the provider.

There is also the matter of gathering the records of one provider if
the library ceases to subscribe to that provider.