Quoting Weinheimer Jim <j.weinhei...@aur.edu>:
But it is my understanding that you can go through a database to get to the data,

Jim, while you can get into databases through interfaces that are found on the web, that data cannot openly interoperate with web data, nor can it be indexed in search engines. So the linked data that is being discussed for the semantic web is data ON the web, not in a closed database that is accessible from a controlled web interface.

and as a result a URI includes the OpenURL. This is a
"relative reference URI", where you have to establish a base URI. See > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-5.1.

Actually, an OpenURL requires a program and a database to resolve it. It doesn't link directly to the resource. In fact, that's the point of the OpenURL: it goes through a resolver database in order to provide the "best" source for the resource to the user.

This is why I have thought that OpenURL demonstrates the power of consistent, >standardized metadata:

In fact, OpenURL data is far from consistent, as folks who have had to program the logic in OpenURL resolvers can attest. But you are right in that OpenURL does allow you to convey standardized data, if you've got it, from one system to another.

Concerning linked data, it is simply the way the World Wide Web works, plus there is the assumption that the more links a resource has both to it and from it, the greater use it has for everyone. I am sure that almost any page > you see on the web is composed of dozens of separate files brought together from all kinds of places:

The difference between linked data and web pages is that web pages are made up of documents or resources of various kinds: html text, image files, sound files. The point of linked data is to allow you to put actual DATA on the web. This includes scientific data (human genome), statistics and numerical data (census), geographic data, bibliographic data. It's like using the web as your database management system, and having everyone's data in the same system and available for use. http://linkeddata.org/ is a good way to view this. Click on the graphic.

But all of this is being done now in dbpedia. Look at http://dbpedia.org
/page/Benjamin_Spock, scroll to the bottom and you can see the record in different types of RDF.

Yes. DBPedia is the "center" today of the linked data cloud, and yes, there is a lot of work that has already been done, especially in the creation of basic data standards (kind of like the basic standards of the Internet, TCP/IP and all that). Where we are, though, is that we are missing the tools we need to make the data friendlier than dbpedia. We do not have, for example, tools that would take a bunch of library linked data [1] and make a nice catalog out of it. Or that would allow users to create their own applications out of the data. So we've got standards for how to create the data, we've got data, but we're at the 'WWW 1990' point: all the underlying technology, but no browser, no Mosaic. When that happens, some very interesting things will be possible, but I don't know what they are at this point, just as we didn't really know what the web would look like before we got our hands on Mosaic.

This is one of the reasons why I think switching to MARXML would be one single >step in the right direction, and also why we should really consider working >with dbpedia: a lot of the technical work has been done already.

No, MARCXML does not move us toward dbpedia. At least, not the MARCXML that is the LC standard. That is, as Jonathan has pointed out, just a different format of the same old MARC record with all of the same constraints. Also, linked data and XML are VERY different approaches to data modeling, and many feel that XML actually gets in the way. The direction that I am trying out (and not sure yet how it will all work out) is to break MARC up into its logical component parts -- it's actual data elements. You can follow this as I develop it at:
  http://futurelib.pbworks.com/w/page/29114548/MARC-elements

kc

[1] Bibliographic data in SemWeb format is beginning to be listed here, but there really isn't a central clearing house: http://ckan.net/group/lld

--