Quoting Brunella Longo <brunella.lo...@yahoo.com>:

I would say that:

- Abbreviations are wellcome if they are universally accepted i.e. [id est ;)] if they facilitate cross domain comprehension and are well documented internationally. There is no point in writing centimetres; But I must admit I have some doubts; I have recently met a guy who [did not know] Kg is for kilogram! Anyway, if there is an abbreviation for a word in a common dictionary that is likely to be accepted also in catalogs;

- abbreviations belonging to the special language of just one community are deprecated and should be avoided at all costs.

The dictum that context imparts meaning is, I think, relevant here. In the context of an ISBD bibliographic record, printed or in a screen display, standard abbreviations have a context; nowadays, even so, possibly not all who see them in that context will understand them.

In contemporary bibliographic displays, the context is often fractured. Therefore the meaning may be obscured.

When we prepare to dismantle bibliographic data and mash elements into hitherto unseen combinations, we can assume no particular context, Therefore it seems to me that abbreviations no longer have a place in our workflows.

On the instance you cite of "i.e," I would demur: I used quite often notice confusions (especially between i.e. and e.g.) among people I would otherwise regard as skilled in reading and writing. Therefore I would not except them either.

Hal Cain
Melbourne, Australia
hec...@dml.vic.edu.au