From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Laurence Creider
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:43 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA MARC coding question

Karen,

I disagree.  The issue here is not MARC, but ISBD, followed by the
question of the function of this data. Since the US library community
seems to have adopted ISBD for its displays, then one needs to figure out
the function of the element within that standard.

I think that Kathy is right about the need for redundancy here.  If the
same data string serves two different functions then you will need to
specify those uses in whatever scheme is chosen in order to make it
possible to extract the data in a meaningful way.

MARC certainly has its limitations, but I get awfully tired of people
blaming it (and catalogers) for everything keeping us from metadata
utopia.  MARC was wonderful for its time, good even beyond its time, and
now it shows its age and needs replacement.  But there is no need for
terms like "slavish" and questioning the professionalism of the
profession.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian