When I object that many of RDA's media terms (MARC 336-338) are
obscure, I am told that they are codes, and will be replaced in
individual OPAC displays by alternate terms or icons.

Why not enter, for example, "[s.n]" as a code in 260$b, and have
systems display  "[publisher not identified]", "[editeur non
identified]", "[Verlag nicht identifiziert]", "[chuban shang meiyou
queding]", etc., based on 040$b?

That would greatly facilitate international exchange of bibliographic
records, and would absolve bibliographic utilities, and those of us
who serve multiple languages of the catalogue, from having duplicate
records.