I rather agree with Adam.  In my earlier years as a cataloger, we
catalogued a lot of missionary materials.  While the publisher was not
due an 1XX, it certainly, in some cases was due a 7XX; it is was the
issuing body and in some way "caused it to be emanated" for its own
interests.  We did not do that for every one of these publications
from missionary societies, but it did offer an important point of
access.

Gene Fieg
Claremont School of Theology
Cataloger,
Nov. 10, 2011

On 11/9/11, Adam L. Schiff <asch...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> We intend to use one word relator terms only, in this case, "issuer".
>> RDA's "issuing body" seems more acurate than "author" to me for
>> conferences, symposia, and law reform commissions, among others.
>>
>> Mac
>
> Except that the designator "issuing body" is not used for the creator of a
> work.  "issuing body" is one of the relationship designators that is to be
> used for other persons, families, or corporate bodies associated with a
> work.  That is, they are associated with the work but they are not
> considered creators of it.  In AACR2 terms, these entities could not be
> given main entry because they are not creators of works.  In RDA terms,
> their names would not be used when constructing the preferred access point
> for a work.
>
> Perhaps a clearer example is the director of a film.  The director in
> AACR2 or RDA could almost never be recorded in the 1XX field.  (The very
> rare exception is when a single person is individually responsible for the
> conception and execution of all aspects of the film.  In which case the
> creator relationship designator "filmmaker" is used.)
>
> Since conferences are considered to be creators, you are supposed to
> pick a relationship designator from among those used for creators
> (Appendix I.2.1).  Choosing "issuing body" for this relationship in RDA is
> just plain wrong, since it comes from I.2.2, the list for entities
> associated with a work other than creators.  In the absence of a more
> specific term in I.2.1, I continue to maintain that "author" is the
> correct designator.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Adam
>
> **************************************