In article <4f093f5d.4070...@hdm-stuttgart.de>, you wrote:

>Actually, the thing Mac and I disagree about (but haven't had time to go
>into more deeply yet) is the question of main entry as such.

Main entry under creator seems a tradition worth keeping:

-in order to maintain consistency with scholarly citation (including
 returning to compiler main entry);

-in order to colocate by author (particularly literary authors) in
 single entry bibliographies;

-to maintain correlation between main entry and Cutter to colocate
 authors' works on the shelf of the same literary genre or on the same
 topic (apart from criticism and biography);

-out of consideration for technology have not libraries, who will not
 have the linkages proposed to allow meaningful displays.

Moving to title main entry for series seems a good idea to me.  A
series under author duplicates the main entry for the single issue,
and authors of series do change.